sabato 28 dicembre 2013

COKE BUST

I think that's really hard to explain a feeling that a person could feel when a train's just coming in front of you. Well, when you listen to Coke Bust you can easily sense that feeling. They are fast, angry, and if you had the chance to see them live, they are that famous train.
Let's talk with Nick, the singer of the band. 

1 - Please introduce the band. Was it easy to start a band in a city like Washinghton D.C., from a lot of years a fertile place for hardcore and punk in general?

Hi Giovanni! Thanks for the interview! Hardcore and punk is alive and well in Washington, DC and the city obviously has a very rich history. The first hardcore punk band that I ever saw was called CRISPUS ATTUCKS and I saw them play in 2001 when I was 14 years old. They blew me away and inspired me to later play in a band. I joined my first group, Griptape, in 2002 and then met Chris Moore who would go on to play drums for us. My involvement in bands in the early 2000's introduced me to all the guys I started Coke Bust with. To answer your question.... yes, it was easy to start this band!


2 - Hc punk and social media now it's a pair pretty hard to break. Do you see this relation such as a good or a bad thing?

I think social media can be good and can help spread information and ideas. Facebook has helped me book shows all over the world and made it easier to tour and get music distributed everywhere. I think that as long as social media is a launching-pad and not the "end all/be all" of punk... I think it's fine!


3 - I read about the fact that there are No squats in the States;how do you explain this thing? How was for you the first time you found this reality in Europe? And what's the main difference of playing in squats and diy shows in the US?

You are correct in that we do not have squats in America. When a building is vacant, it is still private property. Anybody who enters that building is breaking the law and faces punishment. This is why we don't have squats. I first came to Europe in 2007 when I was a roadie for Magrudergrind on their long tour. We played in squats all over the continent and I had no idea that they even existed until we went over there! I loved squats. I love the history associated with them (e.g. learning that a squat used to be an old German war barracks, etc) and I think it's cool to play in places that normal people are afraid of.
Here in the US we have a lot of DIY shows in houses and basements. I love playing house shows! I've never seen one in Europe, so that is what I would say the main difference is.


4 - Where are we "confined"? Or where are confined people who realized to be in their lives?

I wrote Confined about myself and I can't speak for other people. I think that many people could probably relate. I felt confined by my job, relationships, parents' expectations, money, etc.


5 - What's the meaning of "another fucking problem"?

I wrote "Another Fucking Problem" the day that my dog was euthanized. I was so frustrated with my job, not having money, medical bills, the loss of my dog... that I had to just let everything out. That song helped me channel my frustrations at the time. To be entirely honest with you, I write all the lyrics for myself. I don't write them for other people. I can't speak for how people should take my lyrics or what they should think. I just write songs about how I'm feeling and if anyone can relate... that's cool!


6 - It has become common nowadays to hear stories about "labels" who just try to make money behind the mark of diy. I mean, trying to use the diy as a kind of excuse just for selling more records while at the end they don't follow this ethic and even don't give a shit about bands they produce etc. What do you think about it?

Coke Bust is a band that has always worked with labels that we trust and labels that we are friends with. Grave Mistake Records, who has put out a few records for my bands over the years, has always been incredibly cool and supportive. Alex is a personal friend of mine and at the end of the day he's not doing this to make money. Alex loves hardcore punk, just like we do. We work together and there are no problems. I am aware that there are ripoffs in hardcore and punk, but we have nothing to do with those people. Six Weeks, Vinyl Conflict, Grave Mistake, Third Party, Refuse, and Carry the Weight are punk operations run by legit HC warriors.


7 - Talking about straight edge, one point that i really like in your band is that, although in the band you are all sxe, i feel that you live it more as a personal choice, preferring to speak about political and social issues instead of the usual common sxe themes. Or if you talk about it, you always connect it with the issues i mentioned before. Is it true? How is following the sxe philosophy in 2013?

Straight edge is something that is different for everyone. Everyone has their own reasons and philosophies behind straight edge, and I think it is important to remember and recognize that. I don't want to speak for all straight edge people, or even everyone in my band. For me, personally, I am straight edge for a few reasons. First... I do it for health/life reasons. I think that if I drank or did drugs I would be an addict for sure. I have the personality for someone who wouldn't do well with drugs. When I find something that I like, I tend to go for it at any cost (just like hardcore, hah). Next, I am also straight edge because I don't want to support these giant industries that thrive off of human addiction/misery. The drug trade is particularly despicable and people die every day because of the trade. I don't want to support that fucking shit. Lastly, I think you have to look at the politics of the liquor/tobacco industries and who is running the show and their political affiliations.


8 - How is to work with grave mistake and refuse records?

It is awesome. I can't imagine being on better labels, honestly. Both are incredibly supportive, well organized, professional, and are run by people who truly care about the music before the business. I'm proud to call Alex and Robert personal friends.


9 - From "Fuck bar culture" 'till "Confined" what has changed musically speaking and inside the band?

We replaced our guitar player and bass player in those six years. The attitude has remained the same though. Fast, aggressive straight edge music. I think we are better on Confined!



10 - What do you think about the concept of democracy? I mean, democracy it's always used as a word with positive meaning("let's see what the majority says, we are all in a democracy") but one of the things that i think about it is that's a mere illusion and more a reflection of what the majority itself wants to let pass like good,over all the minorities. Do you have any position about it and what do you think about?

I think that a democracy is the best overall system of government. Can you think of a better alternative? I don't think that anarchy is actually a better form of government. That would leave society in a vulnerable place and could possibly give way to extremism, fascism, etc. I think there are a lot of problems with what we consider to be "democracy" in America, however.



11 - Any last words?


Cook your own food!

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento